Domenico Piccichè was born on July 18, 1970 in Palermo, Sicily (Italy).
He was given his first piano lessons at the age of six.
He finished high school (Liceo scientifico of Alcamo, Trapani) with full marks.
When still eighteen he graduated in pianoforte with full marks and mention at the Palermo “V. Bellini” Conservatory of Music.
He studied Analysis and Composition with the Italian composer Eliodoro Sollima.
Along with his musical studies he also went ahead with his university studies by graduating in Law cum laude at Palermo University, defending his thesis on “Artistic Creation and Interpretation in Law”.
After finishing his academic studies, he immediately carried on intense studies in technique, style and expression, which soon took him all over Europe to complete his formation with some of the greatest contemporary musicians and composers. He is proud to remember:
- the MEISTERKURS in Salzburg (Austria) with JÖRG DEMUS;
- the Courses of Analysis and Interpretation given in Palermo and Trapani (Italy) by ELIODORO SOLLIMA;
- he subsequently begane advanced studies with MARIA TIPO and ANDREA LUCCHESINI, in Florence;
- he attended also the International Courses of Portogruaro (Venice) with ALDO CICCOLINI, PIERO RATTALINO, TATIANA ZELICKMAN, VLADIMIR TROPP; the latter, professor of the Gnessins Academy in Moscow, invited him to continue his studies in Russia;
- finally, he studied with FRANCO SCALA and BORIS PETRUSHANSKY at “Incontri col Maestro” Piano International Academy in Imola (Italy);
- he has had two great mentors: ALDO CICCOLINI and BORIS PETRUSHANSKY.
The outcome of these various and important experiences are the numerous successes achieved in prestigious national and international piano contests:
- WINNER at 2001 Ibla Grand Prize International Piano Competition;
- FIRST PRIZE at the 5th "City of Rome" Piano Competition;
- FIRST PRIZE at the 5th "Gargano ‘90" Piano Competition;
- FIRST PRIZE and SPECIAL PRIZE as the best and the youngest competitor at the 1st "Max Lider" Piano Competition;
- FIRST PRIZE in his category and BEST WINNER among all categories at the 3rd "City of Valentino" Piano Competition;
- FIRST PRIZE at the 17th "Coppa Pianisti d’Italia" of Osimo;
- MOST ACCOMPLISHED SICILIAN PIANIST at 2000 Ibla Grand Prize International Piano Competition;
- SECOND PRIZE (1st not assigned) at the 29th “F. P. Neglia” International Piano Competition of Enna;
- SPECIAL AWARD WITH DISTINCTION at the 26th "Vincenzo Bellini" International Piano Competition of Caltanissetta;
- SECOND PRIZE at the 8th "E. Porrino" Piano Competition in Cagliari;
- SECOND PRIZE (1st not assigned) at the 13th "A.M.A. Calabria" Piano Competition;
- SECOND PRIZE at the 19th "Coppa Pianisti d’Italia" of Osimo;
- SECOND PRIZE at the 6th "City of Messina" Piano Competition;
- SECOND PRIZE at the 3rd "City of Gabicce" Piano Competition;
- THIRD PRIZE at the 14th "A. Rendano" Piano Competition of Rome;
- FOURTH PRIZE at the 1st "Città di Marsala" International Piano Competition;
- FINALIST at 2000 New Orleans International Piano Competition (USA).
He won a scholarship in Portogruaro International Courses.
The Russian Government granted him a one-year scholarship that gave him the opportunity to continue his studies in Russia.
In 2001 he received from the Lions International Club the "Homage to Culture" Award.
He has given hundreds of concerts for musical and cultural societies, national and international festivals all over the world, as a soloist and with orchestra:
- Rome, S. Cecilia Auditorium (performance recorded by RAI/Italian Radio-Television);
- Paris, Eglise St. Merri and Centre Européen des Activités Artistiques;
- New York, Alice Tully Hall, Lincoln Center;
- Tokyo, Tokyo Opera City Concert Hall;
- Amsterdam, Keizersgrachtkerk;
- Berlin, Franzoesischen Dom, for the 2. Internationales KammerMusikFestival am Gendarmenmarkt;
- Zernez, Switzerland, for the Zernezer Musikwochen festival;
- Sofia National Theatre, Bulgaria;
- various concert tours for the TEATRO MASSIMO of Palermo;
- the closing concert of the XVII Ionian Sea International Musical Festival;
- University of Tübingen (Germany)
He was the first pianist in the world to play in the Ancient Greek Theatre of Segesta, Sicily, in tour with Oriella Dorella (étoile of the Teatro alla Scala, Milan).
He has performed with great artists: the tenor Pietro Ballo, the soprano Arpiné Rahdjian, the violist Demetrio Comuzzi, the cellists Giorgio Gasbarro and Luca Pincini, the saxophonist Antonino Peri.
With the pianist Nina Gallo he has formed the Duo Excentrique.
He performs regularly for the following theatres and concert societies:
Tokyo Opera City Concert Hall (Japan) - Alice Tully Hall, Lincoln Center, New York (USA) - Associazione Siciliana Amici del Pianoforte - Klavierhaus Weinberger (Austria) - Gioventù Musicale d’Italia - Accueil Musical, Paris (France) - Medulinsko koncertno ljeto (Croatia) - Musica Estate di Sestrière - Centre Européen des Activités Artistiques, Paris (France) - Associazione Siciliana Amici della Musica di Palermo - Internationales KammerMusikFestival am Gendarmenmarkt, Berlin (Germany) - UNICEF - National Theatre, Sofia (Bulgaria) - Circolo Sottufficiali di Bologna - Amici della Musica di Ragusa - University of Tübingen (Germany) - Fondazione Teatro Massimo di Palermo - Azienda Autonoma delle Terme di Sciacca - Keizersgrachtkerk, Amsterdam (The Nederlands) - Amici del Pianoforte di Marsala - Estate Musicale di Portogruaro - Opera House, Burgas (Bulgaria) Lyceum Club di Catania - Circolo Sersanti di Imola - Conservatorio di Musica di Trapani - Centre Europeénne des Activités Artistiques, Paris (France) - Amici della Musica di Guardiagrele - Amici della Musica di Alcamo - Rotary International Club - Lions International Club - Kiwanis International Club - Amici della Musica di Scicli - Gioventù federalista europea - Movimento federalista europeo - Associazione musicale Philarmonia di Bagheria - Association Europeènne des Einsegnantes - Interact Club - Rotaract Club - Centro Studi e Ricerche "A. Scontrino", Trapani - Zernezer Musikwochen (Switzerland)...
He has recorded for RAI/Italian Radio-Television and for other Italian networks.
He records for Phoenix Classics, Videoradio, Videoradio-RAI Trade (Italian Radio-Television), U07 Records.
Début CD: “Eros e Thanatos” (Love and Death), Phoenix Classics. Music by Liszt, Ravel.
His last release is a trilogy ("The sensual style", Videoradio; "Free Emotion", Videoradio-Rai Trade; "Mare", U07 Records) entirely dedicated to the music of the Italian contemporary composer Andrea Ferrante.
Sound-tracks for the movie:
"Per le Prosciutte, sì!", by Danilo Cataldo.
He is also a jurist, writer, composer, artistic director, piano and law professor.
- He has published two musical analysis books about Beethoven’s Sonatas and Mozart’s piano Compositions (Siliqua editore, Italy).
- He was awarded the honour mention at “Luigi Pirandello” literary prize (Agrigento, Italy) with the Novel "Il porco" ("The Pig"), now published by Arnoldo Mondadori editore, Milan.
- He has published for the Italian Ministery of Education the book “Progetto Coro.lla - Monitoraggio delle attività musicali nelle scuole della Sicilia” (“Coro.lla Project. A Monitoring of Musical Activities in Sicilian Schools”).
- His book “Elementi di diritto d'autore e dello spettacolo. Guida per l’artista” (“Copyright and Entertainment Law: an Artist’s Guide”), 3rd ed., is published in Italy by Rugginenti editore, Milan.
Compositions and Transcriptions
He has composed music for piano, for piano and violin, for orchestra, transcriptions, arrangements, incidental music, cadenzas for piano concerts.
He is the author of a transcription for two pianos of Franz Liszt’s 1st Concerto for piano and orchestra and of a concert transcription for solo piano of Ravel’s La Valse (recorded by Phoenix Classics).
He is also author of a transcription for piano, four hands, of Milhaud's Scaramouche.
He has been the Artistic Director of the Mazara del Vallo "Amici della Musica” Concert Society.
Since 2001 he is the Artistic Director of the "Amici del Pianoforte" Sicilian Concert Society.
He was a member of E.P.T.A. - European Piano Teachers Association.
He was a member of S.I.E.M. - Italian Society of Musical Education.
He has been for nine years (1998/99-2006/07) the Coordinator of the “Navarra” Music Laboratory of Alcamo, Sicily.
He is professor of Pianoforte and Law at the Palermo National Conservatory of Music (Italy), and former Vice Director and Coordinator of the legislative Bureau at the Trapani National Conservatory of Music.
He gives regularly piano and chamber music masterclasses in Italy and abroad (Lithuania).
His students stand out in national and international piano contests.
He is regularly professor in vocational, training, refresher courses and Law courses.
He is the founder and the Coordinator of CNAFAM (Coordinamento Nazionale Formazione Artistica, Musicale e Coreutica - National Organization for Art, Music and Dance Education).
He is currently Expert for Italian National Agency for the Evaluation of the University System (ANVUR). He has been frequently heard as an expert of the academic sector in public hearings before the Italian Government and Parliamentary Committees.
The Italian television series "Tutta la musica del cuore" was inspired by the battles for legality he conducted at the Conservatory of Music in Trapani, Sicily.
Domenico Piccichè's BLOG
O. Šverko, La Voce del Popolo (Croatia):
«... a poet of the piano and rather sensual for his magic touch..., an interpreter of powerful dramaticism and transcendental virtuosity... a true artist, a magician, with whom lyrical transfiguration and technical agility become grace and glitter and form the expression of complete art...».
Click on the icons to download